Main Responsibilities of Wuhan Ecology and Environment Bureau
1. Implementing the fundamental ecological and environmental systems.To collaborate with other governmental departments to initiate the formulation and implementation of the local ecological and environmental policies and plans; and to draft local regulationsand municipal government regulations. Together with relevant departments, to compile and supervise the implementation of ecological and environmental plans and water functional zoning plans for key regions, watershed, and drinking water source areas. Toorganize the formulation of the city’s ecological and environmental standards and technical specifications. Implementing the ecology and environment protection targets oriented responsibility system.
2. Coordinating, supervising, and regulating major ecological and environmental issues. Toinitiate the investigations and handling of cross-district environmental pollution accidents and ecological damageincidents; and to guide and coordinate the district governments in the emergency responses and early warnings of ecological and environmental incidents.To guide the implementation of compensation measures for ecological and environmental damages, and to coordinate the settlement of cross-district environmental pollution disputes, and to coordinate ecological and environmental protection efforts in key regions and watershed.
3. Supervising and managing the city's environmental pollution prevention and control. To develop and supervise environmental management systems for air, water, soil, noise, as well as pollution control measures for light, odor, solid waste, chemicals, vehicles. Together with relevant departments, to supervise the environmental protection of drinking water sources, and to manage sewage outfalls and water pollution sources control.Toguide rectifying work for the ecological environment in both urban and rural areas; and to guide and supervise agricultural non-point source pollution control. To oversee and direct regional air environment protection, and to develop collaboration mechanisms for the synchronized control of air pollution.
4. Guiding, coordinating and supervising ecological protection and remediation in the city.To Initiate the compilation of the ecological protection plans,and to monitor natural resource development and utilization activities, major eco-environment construction projects and restoration efforts that have an impact on ecologicalenvironment.To supervise wildlife protection, and wetland ecologicalenvironment protection. To guide, coordinate and supervise ecological environment protection in the rural areas,and to cooperate with the supervision of biotechnologysafety for the environment and biological species (including genetic resources), and to coordinate bio-diversityprotection, and to participate in compensation efforts for ecology protection.
5. Supervising nuclear and radiation safety in the city. To participate inemergency responses to nuclear accidents and radiation environment accidents. Supervising radioactive isotopes management, radiation facilities safety, nuclear technology application, electromagnetic radiation management, andpollution control in the development of mineral resources with radiation.
6. Regulating ecological environment access in the city. Approving or reviewing environmental impact assessment documents for major development and construction areas, plans and projects in accordance with national, provincial and municipal regulations. To prepare and arrange the implementation of the ecological environmental access list.
7. Supervising and legally enforcing laws pertaining to ecology and environment.To organize the inspections of law enforcement of ecology and environment at municipal level.To enforce the laws and regulations for the ecological and environmental protection of natural reserves. In charge of the investigation and handling of major ecological and environmental violations across districts.
8. To organize the city’s cooperation with the ecological and environmental protection inspectors of the CPCcentral committeeand Hubeiprovincial committee.To coordinate the rectification following the feedback from the inspectors.
9. Overseeing the attainment of city’s emission reduction targets. Organizing the implementation of the total pollutant emission control and pollutant discharge permit system, and supervising and inspecting the completion of pollutant emission reduction tasks in each district.
10. Responsible for city's efforts to address climate change. Organizing the formulation and implementation of plans, policy and measures to address climate change. Carrying out Wuhan’s role in China’s work related to the implementation of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
11. Proposing the scale and direction of fixed assets investments in ecological and environmental sectors as well as the allocation of municipal funding, and cooperating with the implementation and supervision of the fixed asset investment together with other departments.
12. Monitoring the city's ecology andenvironment. Implementing ecological and environmental monitoring systems and norms. Monitoring law enforcementof ecology and environment, pollution sources, greenhouse gas emission reduction and ecological and environmental emergency. To cooperate with the investigation and evaluation of ecological and environmental quality, early warning and prediction and other related work. To establish and manage the ecology and environment monitoring network. To publish comprehensive reports on the city's ecology and environment and major ecological and environmental information.
13. Guiding and coordinating educational campaigns over ecological and environmental protection. Formulating and implementing publicity and education programmes to promote the participation of social organizations and the public in ecological environment protection.
14. Conducting works in technology, international cooperation and exchangeswith the aim of protecting ecology and environment. To organize major scientific researches and technical engineering demonstrations in ecology and environment, to build the technology management system for ecology and environment, and to participate in guiding and promoting the development of the circular economy, as well as the green industry. To organize and coordinate the city's compliance with international ecological and environmental treaties, an to engage in handling ecological and environmental affairs that involve other countries.
15. Undertaking the main responsibilities for the overall strict governance of the Party, national security, ideology, comprehensive governance and stability, spiritual civilization building, production safety and secrecy, as required.
16.Completion of other work assignments assigned by superiors.
17.Functional transformation. Wuhan Ecology and Environment Bureau shall fulfill its responsibility to supervise and enforce regulations regarding ecology protection and pollutant emissions in urban and rural areas, andsupervise the implementation of action plans to prevent air, water, and soil pollution. It will build a government-led, enterprise-based, social organization and public participation system for ecological and environmental governance, and enforce the strictest system of ecological and environmental protection, strictly abide by the red line of ecological protection and the bottom line of environmental quality, and resolutely fight the uphill battle of pollution prevention and control to ensure the city's ecological safety and build a beautiful Wuhan.